That's the unfortunate thing about retail. The 2400 is listed on YAMAHA's site for $999 MSRP, so I don't see how $1099 = "$999 - on SALE!" is accurate.

Don't even get me started on these places....

Regardless, at least you got working equipment and you seem happy.

Perhaps that's all that really matters.

As far as speakers go, if you're willing to spend some more (maybe less if you ask them here about a discount with a "package" purchase), the VP150 or VP100 is the "designed" center channel that Axiom offers. This would be an alternative to the M2i upright channel that someone suggested.

I've read NOTHING but great things about the QS8's as surround speakers.

Another suggestion that some folks make here is depending on what you're going to do with your system is to consider the M22i's and a subwoofer instead of 2 floor standing speakers. The benefits of a sub for movies in a home theater seem to be considerable. Since you mentioned that you'll only use the setup for 30% music it might be wise to consider going this route.

2 Popular subwoofer companies around here are HSU and SVS. They also sell direct.

You could do: (2)M22i's-mains, (1)VP150-center, (2)QS8's-surrounds and (1)HSU STF-2-sub for a little over $1600. Possibly less if you can get a package discount.

The axioms and HSU products (not sure about SVS) come with 30 day in home trial as well. Only thing it would cost you is shipping back if you hate them.

I plan to go with a setup similar to the one above as soon as I can work out the family budget

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore