I didn't get into authorized dealers, buying online, or extended warranties because there's a lot of varying opinions. But to help out, here's what I do know:

Most manufacturers are VERY insistant that you buy from an authorized dealer if you plan on having their warranty honored. Yamaha is no different. They expressly say it on their website.

Many authorized dealers sell at MSRP because they have you over a barrel with the warranty (you can see the "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" benefits of this arrangement between the manufacturer and the retailer).

There are authorized dealers (usually smaller local B&M shops that will ship you product) that sell significantly below MSRP and one of the disadvantages is they can't advertise their prices so they're hard to find.

If you check the right forums and meet the right people you can obtain this information (I'm however not one of them).

Extended Warranties are a very personal choice. I sold computers for Circuit City one holiday season a few years ago and people were either for or against them. There seemed to be little middle ground.

We earned commission (versus Best Buy who does not), but the killing was made selling the warranty. This is for the same reasons someone else mentioned. A lot of people never collect on them and it becomes free money.

It's my opinion (and therefore should be generally disregarded) that if something electronic is going to break..it's going to do it pretty quickly, and inevitably it means there will be other problems.

As the others have said, good luck with your search. Hopefully you can find the right equipment at the right price and put together your ideal system.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore