I think Dean is on to the best option - WAF. Okay, she don't dig the black monoliths so much. Do you really blame her? Try letting her pick from a plate of custom wood finishes from Axiom. I have been shocked by the quality of the wood finishes Axiom offers. And having grown tired of my black boxes I added a real mahogany veneer, and i can tell you first hand it changes the room dramatically. Give that a shot before you butcher her walls and limit the sound quality with in-wall solutions. That is a lose-lose situation she must be uspet by! I would trade real wood towers for the sub...for now. A compact sub for HT can be added later, but good M80 towers will suffice for 958% of of your hT needs.

Option two - go German and take over Poland! When my wife got tired of the big TV and black boxes, I got tired of never eating in the formal dining room. So, I liberated the hostage HT in the dining room, and everyone was happy. One or two days a year I hear how a formal room would be nice for whatever event, but 7 days a week i think how nice the Man Cave HT is to have. Best move ever, and everyone is happy - Den looks nice with no stereo or TV equipment, and HT looks like an intentional room, not a frat house. Just added the final touch for the look - a projector. Never could have done that in the den.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire