Hi John,

I am one who respects and follows John Potis's writings but I'm not sure that in his review of the Stratos that he is actually and difinitively acknowledging "Component Break-in". I think he speaks honestly when he says this: "Am I confident regarding to what I can attribute the slow start I had with the Odyssey Audio Stratos amplifier? Not really. It may have been a break-in issue or it could even have been an unrealized bad mood on my part that colored my initial experience and biased me against the amplifier, thus requiring an extended audition that eventually withered that bias away".

Having had several phone conversations with Klaus Bunge of Odyssey, I also respect his knowledge of audio. But as far as "break-in" goes, I (personally) can't blindly accept his word or any other of the well respected manufactures that you mentioned just because they say it's so. Simply because they say something is so doesn't make more than just an opinion (just playing Devil's advocate for a second). I often hear reviewers and manufacturers mention break-in but never hear them talk about the specific physical and scientific reasons for what really would cause this phenomenon.

On the Odyssey web site it mentions this:
"There are several factors that determine the extensive length of "break-in", such as charging of capacitors, establishing the electron flow on the PC board, cables, soldering joints, etc. External conditions, such as the power quality and stability of your power in your listening room, the kind of music you are listening to (more or less dynamics), and many more factors will contribute to the break-in process."

I'm the first one to admit that I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous but the phrase "establishing the electron flow on the PC board" just sounds plain silly. And how long can it take to charge a capicitor, for cryin' out loud? And what the hell could "soldering joints" have to do with the price of eggs in China? Sorry, I don't mean to rant but if these folks (reviews and manufacturers) are going to convince the regular Joe that "break-in really exists (unless the "regular Joe" is convienced because of his own experience of course), there going to have to do better than saying that the "the kind of music you are listening to" can contribute to break-in .

If you/anyone knows of any manufacturer that has published papers that definitively describe and establish the physical and/or scientific properties that cause the "break-in" phenomenon, please let me know and I will eat every word that I have penned here and do it with glee. Please understand, I'm not saying break-in doesn't exist. I just need to know why it exist before I become a believer as I have never personally experience a percieved break-in from SS components. Like I said in a previous post, it could be that; I wasn't paying close enough attention, or break-in is too subtle for my ears to detect, or I have a preconcieved bias and can't bring myself to believe it....I just don't know.

But please don't take this as a personal attack. I just wanted to express my opinion and you know what they say about opinions......

In reply to:

I have only made a few posts here and I seem to get keeping myself in trouble

I wan't you to know that as far as I'm concerned, your posts are always welcome. There are always 3 sides to a story: mine,yours, and the truth.

Not many folks on this board have gotten themselves in more trouble than me. Don't worry, just keep the posts coming.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.