So I used the Bon Appetite recipe I linked to at the beginning of the thread. We had 17 people, and I was debating how much turkey to buy. I didn't want to get one too big due to concerns of it fitting. I ended up with a 16.35 lb turkey, but had read 1 lb per person, with up to 1.5 for a good amount of leftovers. Since our family tends to eat more white than dark meat, I decided to also get a 5 lb turkey breast to cook on the grill as well.

I started the main turkey at 10:45am on the grill. I don't seem to remember having this issue the last time I tried turkey on the grill, but regulating temperature proved to be difficult. I had to keep going out to make sure it was staying at 350, making small adjustments to the amount of heat to keep it there.

Around 12:30pm, I put the breast on as well. They both ended up finishing around the same time, probably around 2:45, with the main turkey maybe 10-15 minutes earlier than the breast.

Anyway, took it all off, carved it up, made the gravy from the recipe, and it all turned out great! We ended up with a LOT of extra turkey though. We didn't even have to carve into the extra breast. The 1 lb per person rule would have been ok, with some leftovers, but not a ton of them. With the extra breast, we have a lot of leftover turkey to eat.

Good thing I like having leftovers after the holiday!