Listener-

For the longest time, I was going to build a subfloor (I have concrete floors as well). Then I really started adding up the cost and work involved (plus the loss of a couple of extra inches in room height...the ceilings were going to be low enough as it was).

Anyway, long story short, I found this prestretched carpet with foam padding already attached at our Menards home store (don't know if you have this store in your area) for $0.58 per square foot. The carpet is called KangaBack and while it is not the most luxurious carpet by any means, it does look and feel decent enough. All you have to do is tape (or glue) this carpet directly to the concrete...that is what is is made for! The foam padding is moisture and mold resistant.

I figured that IF my basement floods, I will just tear up the carpet and replace it. It cost me a whopping $150 and 2 hours worth of labor to install it. I could replace that floor about 4 times over for the cost of a subfloor and professional carpet installation!

Just something for you to think about. My basement floor has no seepage and I do run a dehumidifier (especially in the summer) to keep the humidity levels low. If you will be bringing conditioned air into that room, that will help as well.

Last edited by BWeasner; 12/19/09 11:17 PM.