Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dean, I wasn't aware of your high frequency roll-off problem with the Onkyo. Although it's correct that Onkyo doesn't provide a separate manual setting to specifically choose between the "Audyssey" and "Flat" curves, that doesn't mean that it can't be done to suit your preference. This has been discussed in several posts, especially on AVS, and the best summary of the options that I can recall is at p.366 of the "Audyssey" thread here , where Rickard from Stockholm describes his excellent study of the issue. You'd presumably be interested in his "a" and "b" categories which allow selecting the "Flat" curve. For example, for music, DPLIIx THX Music could be used.

Thanks John, he tried to explain that to me in one of the Onkyo X007 threads at AVS but I he didn’t link to that post and I couldn’t understand what he was trying to get at. If I’m reading that list correctly only the THX modes use the Flat curve which then give the option of using Re-Eq but doesn’t require it. I’ve always been using Cinema, Music and Game up to now which explains why I’m always hearing the roll off of the Audyssey reference curve.

I’ll give those a try this weekend after I rerun the calibration since I just put up my curtains which I’m sure completely destroyed the curve Audyssey already calculated.

I will have to ask him if the flat curve also applies to DPLIIz THX which would make sense if it applies to DPLIIx THX.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1