If you haven’t already I wouldn’t bother with a tripod for the Radio Shack meter it’s just not that sensitive. OTOH, a stand can be useful for the Audyssey mic but nothing fancy is needed. I just made a “T-Ball” style stand out of spare wood I had lying around.

I would aim the meter at the ceiling just make sure if you are holding it or standing near is not to stand between the meter and the speaker you’re measuring and don’t breath heavily on it might skew the reading and frankly it‘s a little strange. ;\)

I’m with Steve (Sroode) on the Audyssey issue. I’ve gone back to not using it as I’ve been doing a lot of tweaking and running Audyssey is a pain made even worse by adding height and wide speakers. I just use my Onkyo’s test tones and a tape measurer. I will try Audyssey again once I’ve got everything sounding the best I can without it.

1k on RF remotes. Makes me even happier my IR blasts through the curtains and French doors into the office with my equipment rack.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1