Originally Posted By: kordeo
. . . I've read numerous things about the older models being harsh in the upper range (i understand room/ears/taste factor in this). Is the v3 toned down a bit? . . . . Is it overkill to buy something like a $700 Outlaw?

Hi Kordeo and welcome to Axiom Forums !

Brightness / Harshness of the Axiom speakers are an "Urban Legend". Before joining Axiom I was occasionally reading such negative comments. So when I joined Axiom I was eager to hear them and was prepared to hear hard, fatiguing and bright high notes. Was I ever shocked after auditioning them; absolutely nothing even close to brightness or harshness - I could not hear any foundations justifying such false comments. I found the Axiom speakers revealing, accurate with extended smooth high frequencies. I was surprised that Axiom was even offering parts to alter the tweeter response and I suggested stopping that practice. I'm glad that it was stopped. Doing so was only feeding that Urban Legend.

There were absolutely no reasons to tone down the v3; they did not need to be !

As it was mentioned to you so far, the source could be the issue; the room acoustic is also a major factor. Another important one is judgement from people not having heard revealing, neutral, accurate and linear audio speakers before in their room. I seriously doubt that is your case.

The higher the quality of your receiver will be the more rewarding will be the performance from your Axiom M80v3 speakers. Abundance of clean power is the key! Nothing can be “overkill” to power the Axiom M80v3 speakers; the Axiom A1400 amplifier has already proven it.

jc