Following from my previous thread, I'm planning on buying a new receiver or pre-processor to replace my current Outlaw 990 pre-processor (which is coupled with an Outlaw 7125 7-channel amplifier @ 125w/ch). I'd like to upgrade to a new processor that supports HDMI, 1080p24 video processing, new HD audio (Dolby/DTS), new wide/height surround formats (PLiiz, DSX), network connectivity and, most importantly, room correction such as Audyssey MultEQ XT/XT32.

I'm considering the Denon AVR-4311CI versus the Marantz AV7005 pre-processor. Outlaw is currently offering a promotion whereby I can purchase the Marantz @ $1500 US with free US shipping (I'd have to pay the difference to ship to Canada) with a $300 buy-back option on my current 990 pre-pro - for a total cost of $1200 US plus CDN shipping.

The Denon 4311 is relatively new and hasn't arrived on the shelves of Canadian retailers but I suspect that I can get it for approximately $1700-1800 CDN. Or I can purchase it from the US for $1500 USD plus shipping. Purchasing from the US might (will?) negate the manufacturer's warranty, however.

I'm leaning towards the Denon 4311 as it has the latest Audyssey implementation (MultEQ XT32 plus SubEQ for 2 subwoofers) and seems to have a couple more features that I may use - such as a Denon iPhone app to control it which may come in handy. Plus, I might be able to use it as a receiver and re-purpose or sell my 7-channel Outlaw 7125 amplifier (might save a few bucks). But I'm not sure what the final cost will be and it will definitely be more expensive than the Marantz.

The Marantz is obviously cheaper and is a pre-pro vs. a receiver. And it pretty much has all the features I need minus the latest Audyssey implementation (not XT32).

I've not owned either brand - the Outlaw was my first "real" home theater processor.

Any opinions on which would be better? I'm primarily interested in home theater setup - watching movies and TV. But I do listen to music (in multi-channel mode i.e. PL2x Music) and would like to stream music from a networked server. I will only have the capacity to run it as 7.2 (fronts, center, heights, sides).

I happily await your comments...

Thanks!

Bryan