Hey guys, thanks for the advice and input, it's very appreciated. Also, sorry for my late reply, but I was up today.

I'll do my best to respond to your questions and suggestions.

-My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S
-I have an app called Quick Settings that allows you to turn data off. As far as I know, if it's functioning properly, it turns all data off, not just 3G.
-I do have an app called 3G Watchdog that monitors and displays how much data you've used. I don't check in regularly, but every time that I have, it indicates that I haven't used any data whatsoever.
-I do have some apps, like a weather and o'clock widget, along with a YouTube widget which require some form of data to update.
-As far as my phone going to sleep and not using my WiFi-I'd never heard of this until now, and if there's a chance that I don't have the data turned off correctly, this would be the only way I can think of that I would accumulate data. As an example, my phone was on every day last month (like every day) solely because I use it as a backup phone with my bluetooth speaker phone connected. It's literally sitting right in front of me and not in use, so I assume it's technically in "sleep mode" all day long.
-My phone is basically set up to prompt me whenever I receive an e-mail, and on average I would say that I receive 12 emails a day.

Here's the first page of my bill showing that data used. Hopefully you can read it. I included a link to the album below the picture, if that helps.

test

Because my phone is bricked and I'm waiting for a replacement in the mail, I don't have any way of checking my settings or apps. I'll definitely take all of your advice and make sure that my new Galaxy S is set up so all of the data is off, and I'll keep a closer eye on 3G Watchdog.

Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Originally Posted By: grunt
Quote:

3) Are you sure you are on Wifi? One way to check is to disable your wifi network (or disconnect your broadband modem) and then try to browse on your phone. If it still browses, then that means you are actually using the data network.

I see what you’re getting at here but it might not be as simple as turning off your network. When I have the WiFi on my phone enabled it defaults to it when available but automatically reverts to G3 or regular cell if the WiFi drops out because say I hit a dead zone in my house or walk to the mailbox down the street. I forgot which phone you are using Cam but it may have an icon at the top which shows how you are sending and receiving data, my Galaxy S does.

Sorry I can’t help you with any advice Cam since my data usage option only has unlimited data so I don’t worry about usage. I just use WiFi at home because it’s usually faster if I’m not using up my bandwidth doing other downloads.

Great point about the Wifi dead spot. Worth a look.

My phone is two feet from my wireless router when I'm in bed.

Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Am I missing something here? If you used 211 MB and you have a 500MB data cap, did you get charged extra or something?

You're not missing anything, Ken. I just want to know why it shows on my bill that I have used 211 MB of my 500 MB data cap, when I have my phone set up to use my WiFi.

Here's what my bill says for my data usage-

Data
Windows Email & Int 500 MB Data Usage
@$.00/MB 211.8939MB

I am definitely going to contact Bell again tomorrow, and discuss this with some further.

Do any of you guys understand the time stamps on my bill? That's what really perplexes me, as they are all over the place and every day of the month, even though I'm not touching my phone; it's just on for my bluetooth capability and emergency backup.

Based on the info I've provided, are there any ideas about possibly what's going on, and any suggestions?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.