I finally saw one of the S2s in person. Pretty good picture, though something was a little off in the color. I'm not sure if it was simply a calibration issue or not. It was at a place that knows a little more about that kind of thing than Best Buy or the like, so who knows. They don't push extended warranties there, and he kind of put my mind at ease regarding getting one. Most of the displays they sell now are Samsung and Panasonic, said his life is a lot less stressful since he's stopped carrying Mitsubishi and Sony due to reliability issues.

I may have bought the S2 if he'd had any in stock, even though I can get a better price online. I almost pulled the trigger online, then decided to wait until tomorrow. The price has already jumped up, though. That, coupled with my lukewarm reaction to the demo, has made me ambivalent about the purchase for now. Unfortunately, I want to buy a new TV soooon so I can give this one to my sister. I don't want to make them wait forever.

I'm still curious about DLP, but this guy's comments about the growing pains Mitsubishi has had by moving their manufacturing to Mexico makes me uneasy. Perhaps their act is together now, since I don't know how long ago he severed his ties with them. It sounds like their LaserVue sets are still made only in the US and Japan, but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend for a placeholder display. Ha ha. What would you do in my situation? Go for the S2, make my sister and her family wait even longer for their late Christmas present, or go for some other model?