Interesting point and considering the rapid pace of change in technology, I can't blame you for your thoughts. A couple of interesting points, though, about this topic that is starting to happen is that all the equipment I was touting have all done recent 3D firmware upgrades "gratis" so they are set for awhile.

Perhaps most are not aware yet but, a few companies, ironically Panasonic for one, has included in their top of the line sets, the ability to directly interface with certain software(Calman/Spectracal)for one, to do calibrations on their sets including basic set-ups right in the same software and make interactive adjustments. Some top-of the line FRONT projection units(eg.JVC) include directly built-in to the units, grayscale and color management systems, so all you would need is the software and a meter to do the calibrations and not require the hardware interface unit at all.

So I guess the bottom line is, up until now, despite what seems to be as a fringe or limited "enthusiast" type process which comes at significant extra cost, working in conjunction with some software companies who specialize in getting the most out of your new monitor, more and more mainstream companies are gradually including this stuff in their products, so it seems the thoughts of greater color and gray scale accuracy and how to get it is gradually becoming more "mainstream".

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.