Originally Posted By: medic8r
To get a taste of 1980s Athens, go see Athens, Ga. - Inside/Out, a 1987 movie focusing on the music scene. Great soundtrack, plus you can see the guy who did the album cover for the Talking Heads' Little Creatures

Dig this.

I was dating a girl in the early 80's who's brother was the photographer for REM. I got to hang out (I lived in Florida but I spent a lot of time in Athens) with a lot of people and bands from that scene.

I hung out with REM, the B52's, Pylon, Method Actors etc. It was an exciting time.

I also met a dude in a little combo called Buzz OF Delight. We became friends and he later helped me get started in the music industry. This person went on to some fame (if not fortune). This person? None other than Matthew Sweet. He's the reason I ended up here in Atlanta...

Anyway, I also got to meet the late, great Howard Finster. He gave me two really cool hand painted whirly-gigs that he had made. I left them in that girl I was dating parents garage (they were very big). Years later, after Howard died, I went and asked them for my whirly-gigs back.

Her father had thrown them out thinking that they were just junk! mad

Can you imagine how much they would be worth now?

The reverend was a strange and cool man.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa