I struggle with your condition Mark, almost to the letter of what you describe. It's not just age, as so many people want to blame it on. It just happens to be coincidental that it happens to people in their middle ages. It's a combination of stress, distractions, lack of rest, too much alcohol, not enough exercise, improper food intake, etc. It's just not living a healthy life because the burdens of being a responsible adult tend to take precedence.

How I have, and am currently dealing with this is to compartmentalize things of priority. I am getting back to what was important to me prior to becoming everyone one elses anchor, verses what is important to all the other external influences of my life (and yes this includes family). If I am not healthy and of sound mind, I can not take care of myself, so I sure in the hell can't take care of anyone else.

I've only just started this, so I really don't have any great suggestions, yet. But I can say that I'm getting my game of chess back. A year ago, I couldn't beat a three year old and there was a time when I could hang with grand masters (once or twice anyway).