Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
A single speaker directly behind your head will often cause the illusion of the sound coming from in front of you. So in that case it's better to not have the rear center, as it creates a completely wrong sound field.

If you don't sit directly in front of it, but instead have two seats to either side, then the rear center can provide a more connected surround effect.

It's hard to say how well it will work. As long as it's not too much effort, you should probably just try it, and see how you like it.

thanks, i currently have a 7.1 and don't get that sensation sound wise. they are less about 4-5 feet apart. how then does the sixth channel work as i would gather most folks with a sixth channel speaker has it centered in back of them and it should only be active (when used as a genuine surround back channel for one speaker) when watching or listening to a program that is recorded in either 6 or 7 channels (not including any matrixing)

logistically, it will be about 4' behind me and about 7'+ off of the floor in height so it's not directly in back of me, just centered.

thanks for the input as it was quite interesting and i'd like to see your responses. very good points you brought up!

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93