Originally Posted By: dakkon

I told him that i though a plasma would be a good idea, however i do not know how long plasma's usually last? I think LED/LCD last longer?

Why do people continue to cling to old information which even in its time was over exaggerated?

Early generation plasmas were listed as having "short" life spans because of their industrial use (they were not marketed for home users until the late 1990s). For example, a plasma screen in a store front window could be used as often as 24/7.
Of course they would only last a few years at this rate. [this is a simplification of the plasma application but demonstrates the overall point]

Stores use the same adverts for weeks before changing them which then sparked the second "myth" about plasma tv and burn in. The myth is that this phenomenon is unique to plasma tvs.

ALL tvs will burn in and image onto the visual screen if used in this manner!
ALL tvs will burn out if used this much!

Rating a present day plasma tv at 100,000 viewing hours equates to 34 years of viewing at 8 hours a day!
If you are watching 8 hours of that screen per day, you need help.
Incidentally, a store that uses a plasma 24/7 in its front window would have about 11 years of use, based on the 100,000 hours rating.

/end rant

Last edited by chesseroo; 11/25/11 04:25 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."