Exactly, Chess, and to add to your rant, some years ago there was a study of the longevity of the LCD flat panels that run 24/7 in large airport terminals. The result was that based on home viewing by consumers (an average of 5 hours per day, which strikes me as watching way too much TV), LCD panels should last about 15 to 20 years. Keep in mind that video screen longevity--LCD and plasma-- is based on the degree to which the panels dim by 50% compared to a new set. The same phenomenon occurs with CRT sets, but the dimming of the image and loss of contrast is so gradual that most viewers don't notice until it becomes gross. I recall a CRT set of mine that was into its 14th year when it became obvious that the brightness and contrast had diminished.

While I'm in the rant mode, I'm weary of this exaggerated reverence for the Pioneer Kuro plasma sets. In all of my comparative viewing, including receptions by Pioneer, I would rate the Kuro sets as "quite good", but not equal in image quality to the plasma sets from Panasonic and Samsung, which provide really stunning images. I think the Kuro thing is a product of group-think, seeded by some reviewers. In my opinion, the Kuro sets were always overrated and overpriced.

End of my rant.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)