Originally Posted By: alan
Hi dakkon,

This kind of thinking has been disproven through years of double-blind tests of loudspeakers and amplifiers, most of which were done in Canada, in which I've participated as a professional reviewer for more than 25 years, and I believe this biased thinking exists in video reviewing as well.

What do you think the reason for this being performed in Canada was? Do you think that the big brands have a much farther reach in the U.S.? I.E. advertising dollars with the companies that are reviewing their products?

I can understand how it would be hard to impossible for a somewhat niche market to be able to provide a truly objective and critical opinion of a product.. There are only a few manufactures of audio video gear and a limited market for people who are "really" into this stuff, if a reviewer roasts a bad product then that company would almost certainly pull any and all advertising, and not send the reviewer any more products.

I would also guess that many of the reviewers do not use "scientific" methods.. or double blind comparison to a reference product. As that is the only way you can get a true comparison with minimal bias.

On that note, Alan, i am glad you mentioned the Kuro as i was in the process of hunting one down.. They are QUITE hard to find now, new with low hours anyway... I will feel much better about buying a new generation panasonic/Samsung for about 1/2 of what the Kuro's are going for if you can find one today...