Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I didn't see the answer to the "where do I get some of what you're smoking?" question. grin

I have some other questions.

Is there a calibration microphone thingamabob, or are we dependent upon placement for any specific room tuning?

How does all this stuff wire up?

Are you doing A/D and D/A conversions in The Magic Box in order to implement the DSP?

In what ways is this approach superior to 7.1 (or more) HD audio?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I am really very excited about the technology. I know Ian and Andrew may not want to answer these types of questions. I have always appreciated not only the exquisite products Axiom offers, but also the learning community here.

Bravo, Axiom! The speakers are beautiful and I hope to own them (or at least HEAR them) some day.

No microphones and no "room correction". As you know, we are not fans of room correction because the target curve itself is a moving target. There are simply too many variables involved. Not to mention that a number of systems deliberately screw up the frequency response to "compensate" for shortcomings in the source material. But I digress... wink

In this case you have to play with positioning to fine tune performance, just like any other speaker.

The DSP box sits between the pre-amp/processor and the amplifiers. It accepts a stereo (or front left/right) signal input, single-ended or balanced. There are two independent DSP engines, one dedicated to each channel. Because DSP is "digital" by definition, there is an A/D and D/A conversion going on. The conversion and processing operates at 24bits/96kHz. There are four outputs, again single-ended or balanced, for the left front/rear and right front/rear channels. Each output requires its own, matched, amplifier channel.

This system, while providing excellent stereo performance, is equally suited to a home theatre system. It does not attempt to create a false sense of multi-channel sound, rather a more realistic front soundstage.