Originally Posted By: Andrew
We also need to have far more control over the acoustic response of both sections of the speaker, something impossible with conventional crossover networks on their own. 4-channel DSP to the rescue!

Andrew, thanks for taking the time to shed a little light on the design of the new speaker. As for the code in the DSP, do you think this is something that could be refined over time? If so, is Axiom including a way to do something along the lines of firmware updates? It seems like software is becoming a major part of new developments in Axiom's designs. At one point there was talk of the USB port on the backs of the DSP-based subs being a potential way to update the DSP's code, but I'm not sure it was ever utilized for that. Maybe they had Mojo try an update that way once? Or did I dream that? In any case, now it seems to simply be there to plug in a USB light. For a lot of consumers, it would probably be nice to know that performance would continue to be improved over time with simple software updates.

Ideally, it would be nice to see Axiom release a pre-pro of their own, as they planned to do back when the original A1400s were coming out. I can certainly understand why it never happened. People want the world in features these days. I think a lot of the design of the pre-pro would need to be outsourced, and probably production of it as well, but it seems like it would be great to have one central unit doing all of the DSP stuff necessary for these new speakers as well as having the potential to import extra profiles for whatever other Axiom speakers are in the system. A processor that's fully aware of the performance characteristics of every speaker that's connected to it. I know, I ramble a bit.

Besides my unwelcome opinions on how you can cater to me, I do want to say that I like the grills on the new speaker, and it's nice to see some outriggers after people have so often requested them. Will the outriggers be made available for the other floorstanders?