I'm a big believer in using different blades for different uses. You didn't mention the exact brand/type but I'm guessing that the 80 tooth blade is designed to make smooth cuts, as you mentioned, and is best for smaller or detail pieces where you can't afford to have a chip along the edge, like when you are cutting trim, for instance.

For less perfectionist work, it is often too slow & can not handle to much forced pressure on the cut for reasons as you described above. Our human nature is to try to rush through a rougher cut, so we are all more likely to try and cut too fast with it and then it can't clear, bogs down or maybe even maybe burns the wood. Also, they are generally more expensive so it doesn't make sense to use them except when they are needed.

I generally keep a general purpose blade on my saw for quick work. I'll switch to a 24 tooth ripping blade to zoom through ripping bulk lumber or rough cross cuts. Think sizing up 2x4s and such. No use wearing out my speciality blades on this type of work.

My general purpose blade seems good enough for the bulk of my work, even some nicer cross cuts depending on the wood type, but if I want pristine results, I'l switch to the 80 toother and take my time. I actually have more than three blades but that summarizes the 4 main types of wood cuts.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.