I'm not to good with describing things, so please don't laugh at my impression with the HP's after 9 hours listening.
I really like the M80 so this isn't intended to bring them down at all. They are great speakers, if I could I would keep the two I have.
At first I found the difference between the two to be subtle when with an edge to the M80 (could be positioning, no break in etc) which had me a little (more) concerned.
I had expected you guys would be right about being bloated etc, but I've got plenty of room around them and am quite impressed. I'm sure the room is helping me here. That's for another thread.
After the first hour or so of listening to only the HP's I really started to feel different about them. I wasn't listing too critically for the first three CD's, just playing random new CD's I'd picked up, so, I wasn't familiar with the tracks.
Once I put in some music I've listen to hundreds of times (The Tragically Hip)and even live twice, I really started to listen.
I almost had to rethink how I was judging sound, going from more of a pin point accurate presentation (highs)to a more neutral, natural presentation. The sound is more believable. Definitely worth considering the upgrade.
The cross overs are better, or at least how well the sound blends is better. With 5 towers across the front of the room, you'd swear they were all putting out sound. You have to walk up to them to confirm which 2 speakers are in fact playing.
The M80 had this down pretty good too, its just better with the HP.
I've had several moments where I can't believe I'm not there (especially live recordings or small two piece recordings)and hard to believe the amount of envelopment from two towers. I think I lucked out with the original placement, only needing to toe them in ever so slightly and down +/-5/8 of an inch (they are +/- 12" off the floor).
Of the 3 adults to sit down and listen thus far I got 1 "I like it", 1 "sounds nice, clear!" and 1 who decided to stay a while. We sat there in silence listening to Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson playing and singing together until he had to go. He really liked how cleanly you could hear and visualize the plucking of guitar strings.
They are crazy good, you'll close your eyes for no other reason but to remove the visual side of the presentation good.
With my eyes closed I wasn't hearing from the front, I could feel a sound field. This is one thing I'll try to find a better description of. Its almost alien, and will be tough to discribe accurately.
I've always tried to envision the band in front of me when listening, there were a couple moments when, with my eyes closed, I could see an instrument enter the sound field from the top corner of the room or from the bottom and just float there, increasing the feeling I was in a different place, not sitting on a love seat 11' from speakers.
I don't think I could do it better with surrounds.
I have a good friend coming over after lunch. I told her to bring her favourite music.
So glad I have Mondays off again.

Last edited by brwsaw; 02/17/14 05:12 PM.