Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Fred, since you're here, the Dead left no descendants. No pun intended. They are not really an influential band, unless you count Phish.

Quote:
a list of every record (we think) one should have if one wants to recapitulate the early "explosion" years in R & R.

Recapitulation, if done correctly leaves descendents.

The Dead were disciples of the turn on, tune in, drop out movement that was at the core of the late 60s youth movement. If you are to recapitulate (safely) that era, you must include the Dead.

I know you're right, but we really don't like them. However, I like you, so OK, they're in. Now pick a single album to include.

Damn, now you're making me work. My favourite album is Blues for Alah, but its a studio album and the dead were renouned for their live shows, albums and bootlegs.

Hmm, since the Philmore was ground zero for the movement (deadheads and hippydom) it should be one of their bootleg live at the Philmore west releases. I don't know that I can narrow it down more than that.

Fred, you are the only person I've known to grandiosize the Fillmore by spelling it with a "Ph, "like "Philharmonic." I am sufficiently amused that we shall leave a permanently open
space for the inclusion of any Dead album you fancy on any given day. (I owned "Oaxoaca," however the hell it's spelled.)

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.