Originally Posted By: michael_d
A friend of mine is an Apple guy. Loves his Apple laptops. He gets a new one every time they come out with a new model.

Sounds like a "perfect Apple consumer"... I know a few of them as well at work. Always spending money on what Apple tells them is the latest "you will be cool if you own this" product. I kid you not that several of them admit that they don't see much improvement over the previous model/product to justify jumping every model or year, but yet they keep doing it. LOL.

I just don't understand why someone would buy a new product when the old one isn't even that "old" or anywhere near its end of life.

Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
There is a cult following with Mac's. They are effectively an Intel laptop that has gone through a style consultant. Are they build any better.. I don't think so. You get to give up some items like memory upgrades, and a replaceable battery. They are making them slimmer all the time as they think that slim is better.

Keep in mind that once you cross over to apple, then you now have to deal with the software issue. If you are running windows apps, they don't natively work on your apple. You will need to deal with bootcamp that can have issues as Apple does not support it at all.. or some virtual machine solution. Not always the best.

You can take the side that you can pay the premium for an apple machine, or buy 3 lesser (cheep) windows one and replace it once it breaks.

So true.

Then again, I haven't offered any insight into anything good yet.

I will say this, at work we offer Apple MacBook Air devices, Dell Ultrabook E7440 laptops, iPads, and now the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The hands down favorite right now are the Surface Pro 3s. From a tablet perspective, even Apple users are loving them. Plus you get the power of an actual laptop.

I saw my brother-in-law this weekend and he has been in the Apple camp for many years. His family only owns Apple computers, tablets, and cell phones... His work switched him from a MacBook Pro to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and he couldn't stop talking about how much more he likes the Surface Pro 3. So much so that he is talking about buying a Windows computer or some sort for their home when the Apple one dies or gets too old.

Farewell - June 4, 2020