I think that my dislike (yeah, it turned into a bit of hate over the years) started when I was in Apple Macintosh technical training back in the mid 90's. Oh my gosh, the fanboys were heavy there too from the instructors, but the people taking the classes pretty much all left certified, but not liking the limited support that can be provided by a "field tech." People complained about Windows and the BSOD, but dang, at least it wasn't a useless Error Type 11. The BSOD had some code information that could lead you to either an application or hardware piece. On the Mac, nope... nothing... I do remember some slick tools that *if they were running in the background* an the machine crashed, you could recover a lot of the information, but that was basically something doing an "autosave" to a temp location every minute or so.

Not sure about durability of things today... Not just the particular Mac or PC in question, but just things in general. Yeah, there are some advancements in materials, but people can and will still break anything, or do what my wife did a few years ago and close a pair of earbuds inside a new laptop and crack the screen, or set a laptop running Netflix on a blanket on the bed or couch and block the fan port, etc.

While I won't ever knowingly own an Apple product, it doesn't mean that I don't see the market for them. It just isn't for me. Yeah, I like to have cool stuff too, but an example would be that I am trying to get my wife to upgrade her old phone to a Samsung S6 on preorder. The early reviews of the S6 and S6 Edge are very good. The Edge has some cool features that can be done with it, but it is also a $100 premium over the regular S6. The reviews that I've seen from people known for Apple products say that the $100 more expensive S6 Edge is a "must have" despite the features being worth about $20 in my opinion over the regular S6.... Why? Because several openly admit that you will be *THE* coolest person with it... Sounds like Apple marketing, but for an Android product.

I don't care to be cool... That ship sailed shortly after college. I do, however, care about functionality and price (I call it "value"). If someone else wants to spend more of their money on something with the similar functionality, then let them. Just like the guy I work with that I offered to buy, install, configure, and calibrate all of his home theater gear in his new house because a local "expert vendor" was selling overpriced mediocre stuff... He said that he wanted "turnkey" (which I was offering) and didn't care that he paid a premium for a lesser quality setup. He can now say that he has a "home theater installed by __________"... It was really about the name for him... He also buys a new iPhone, iPad, and MacBook every year, then later admits that he didn't *need* to, but just wanted to have the latest Apple products. So be it. It is his money, not mine, and if he is happy with it, then it isn't my place to tell him otherwise.

Farewell - June 4, 2020