My oldest is getting married in June 2016, she had 7 bridemaids from college over last night, plus my 16 year old, my wife, and my mother-in-law. Needless to say, I was outnumbered... Anyway, they wanted to watch "27 Dresses" in preparation for today. I know nothing about the movie, but they seemed to think that it was enjoyable.

"Dad, can you run to the video store and get 27 Dresses"... Sure, something to get away from the chaos and into the peacefulness of my car for the long 3 minute drive. :-)

Anyway, the video store only has it on DVD... FULL SCREEN DVD to be precise.

Oh well, it isn't like *I* am watching it.

So they are all happy, and they are watching the movie while I literally spend the entire run time of the movie, and then some, cleaning up from dinner.

OK, ok... back on track.

At one point I go into the theater room and see how they are doing. I look at the screen.. YUCK. Not only does it have wide black bars on the right and left of the image, but the quality is, well... DVD.

I have a feeling that at some point I will feel the same about "regular" blu-ray.

I will NOT re-buy movies on UHD. I think that over the years I've had 4 versions of Star Wars and said "wow, I can't wait for this on blu-ray" and guess what? I've watched just 1.5 of the 6 movies since I bought it on release day. Why? Was the quality bad? No, it is just that I've seen them so many times.

Right now, I have 15 of my 16 TB of space used on my media server. The average movie size (keeping in mind that some are just 5-6 GB DVDs)is just over 27GB. I can't imagine the space needed for UHD rips.

Plus right now, you can't rip Atmos tracks from the discs that have it (the same will hold true for a while with DTS:X once it gets going). Yes, you can get Atmos on "regular" blu-ray, but just saying that you currently must have the disc in-hand to get Atmos currently. That also means that it will be a long time before UHD can be ripped as well. So whenever the day comes that I can afford a UHD level projector, THEN I will look at switching. I will also have the media server for my "legacy" blu-ray collection, and a stand alone UHD player for the new format...

Not clean, not easy, but improvement in something that I love is good by me. My fear though is that some movies won't have a good transfer for a while, so they may be on an UHD disc, but still look like blu-ray.

Farewell - June 4, 2020