Originally Posted By: Hansang
Fredk, it's possible that your RP is the limiting factor...

Having a projector now, I would actually benefit from higher resolution.

When I first got my 50" rptv, I sat 6.5' from it and basked in the glory of1080p. Over time, the viewing distance crept up to 9'. That happened because of the practicalities of room layout and use of space. At that distance, I could still tell the difference between upscaled DVD and 1080p, but that difference was subtle.

Upscaled DVD was quite acceptable and I never hesitated to rent a DVD when the Bluray was not available. Now that I have a projector, that has changed. Upscaled DVD is just plain ugly.

In a world of streaming where the average screen size is 50-60" and the average viewing distance, more than 10', upscaled DVD and the 'not quite 1080P' HD we get from Netflix is good enough for the majority of the market.

At 9' from a 110" screen, 1080P is good enough to deliver a fully immersive experience and stunning visual quality. Average Joe consumer does not need anything more to be satisfied and, as sad as it may seem, average Joe still drives the market.

DVD sales overtook VHS within 8 years of first release. At 10 years post first release, 1080P Buyray is stuck at 30% market share.

I don't think that HD formats will stop at 1080P, I just believe that they will not develop the way past formats have. The limiting factor is hardware. When the average screen size gets up to the 80" range, I think 1080P will become good enough and 4K will be viable for the majority of those that care about the ultimate resolution.

No doubt, having tried that exotic sports car, a small piece of the market will settle for nothing less than a Ferrari. The rest of us will still be ok with the wider distribution of good enough.

PS: Best driving experience. 290 kph in a Porche Carrera GT on the autobahn.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!