Thanks TAM. Great vid. His presentation was much more enjoyable than the paper of the same name. -science in the sevice of art (also very informative). I really need to read his book.

Ok, so maybe someone watched and is thinking "oh no! I own loudspeakers that have issues he highlighted." Its alright, Salon 2s are expensive. grin

There are a couple of his points that I think were presented as showstoppers, but could be minimised by room treatments. Flat off axis response and a linear directivity behavior are not entirely essential to reference sound (at the MLP). Directivity/off axis problems can be helped by appropriate first and second reflection point treatments. Setting up rooms lengthwise also reduces extreme off axis listening positions.

Also, the timbral contribution of a room at middle frequencies becomes less problematic when treatments are employed and RT60 is reduced to appropriate levels. This increases perceived dynamics and reduces listening fatigue as well.

There are a ton of reasons why an AVR auto room EQ is a bad idea. He hit the nail on the head with a "a microphone doesnt compare to 2 ears and a brain". If you need more convincing search Paul Hales' appearance on home theater geeks. A good one.

I would love to see day 2 of the lecture presentation. Again, thanks TAM. smile