I did some experimenting with Audyssey this afternoon. I got my trusty RS Analogue SPL Meter out, turned Off Audyssey & played the Denon AVR Test Tones. I set all of the levels at 75 Db at my MLP using the meter vertically. As contrasted to the LF that was right on 75 Dbs, the CC & RF Channels had to come up a couple of DBs & the Surrounds even a bit more. Subs were OK & were nicely shaking things.

I then played in Surround Mode one of my favourite concerts at -15 Db (peaking at 90 Dbs at my MLP) - Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood 'Live in Madison Square Garden' DVD.

I repeatedly cycled through the various Audyssey modes & concluded that whenever it was ON, it added some brightness to the overall sound. It was quite apparent that when Winwood was speaking in an interview between tracks that his 'S'es were more prominent. When looking at the EQ graphs, I found that Audyssey indeed had added some higher end boost to my room. Kinda dispels that notion that Axioms are overly bright, ha!

So as others have recommended, Audyssey is OFF, at least for now. Without it, there is a smoother presentation for music; however, I will have to test it out on a movie or two to see how that sounds...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 06/13/15 11:43 PM.