As many of you know, I have a pretty decent amount of acoustical treatments in my room. Every time I added more in the right areas, my sound became more crisp and clear (not in pitch, but in clarity). This included what seems to be a full range from highs down to LFE from the subs.

However, it wasn't until I turned ON Audyssey that things started to really shine, and in an even better way.

Dialog is much easier to hear (which was my main goal since my wife has a hard time hearing spoken words over the soundtrack and effects), and small details that were lost before we now able to be heard.

Maybe it is a different flavor and vintage of Audyssey (I have 3.5 year old MultEQ XT), but more than likely it is the room and our hearing of things in a room.

Even with EQ, some things just can't be fixed electronically, or some things are incorrectly interpreted by the processor (Audyssey in this case) and negative effects happen.

That is why they have an on/off switch for this stuff. TAM says that in his space, with his speakers, and his ears, that it gets to bright. In my space, with my speakers, and my ears, it sounds good and not bright, not painful, but with a bit more clarity and "impact." Who is right? We both are.

Having come from Pioneer Elite's MCACC to Audyssey MultEQ XT, I know that a NEED Audyssey in my next receiver too. Maybe it will even be XT32. Others may not find that value.

Farewell - June 4, 2020