I recently I had to bite the bullet and buy a new monitor and frankly, because I wanted one at least 65" or larger, I didn't know whether or not to wait for the newer OLEDs or look at one of the readily available moderately priced 4K sets. I ultimately settled on one of the new mid-range moderately priced LG 4K monitors and even though it is LCD/LED I must admit when finally setting it up properly in my system, I have been pretty impressed with all types of HD video. There is no question that there still is a certain "look" to LCD monitors, however, the colors, resolution along with the ability to provide at least decent black levels with both the adjustable backlight and local dimming features makes it quite worthwhile. The menu functions and remote are pretty much identical to the OLED described in the above CNET review and off-axis viewing has improved significantly over the old LCD technology. There is also several different video presets each with its own quite varied video adjustments.

I am fortunate enough to have along with the software and meter and the ability to do my own calibrations, a Lumagen Radiance VP and Darbee VP, and even though they max out at 1080p, the ability of the monitor to upscale to 4K, add it all up and the picture is as good as anything I have seen so far, regardless of the technology.

It's a new day!