Originally Posted By oakvillematt

That soap opera effect is caused by an overly bright lit scene with far too much detail. This effect has plagued many of the lower budget films transfered to bluray or above. The effect of having something overly sharp when we are so use to the grain and texture you get with motion picture film.

You must be referring to some other effect.
The soap opera effect i observed was from having Trumotion (or other motion processing) turned on as was noted in that article as well.
I only found that article recently but noticed the soap opera effect over a year ago. The effect was easily reproduced with any source material; HD satellite tv or dvds.

When i first bought a LCD panel, first version Phillips that was about 5 inches in depth, what i noticed was a blurring effect especially for fast sports shows. This was related to refresh rates and the Trumotion processing was designed to eliminate that effect. Instead it introduced a completely different and equally horrible vision.
Funny thing is that not everyone saw the blurring in early LCD panels. Some people were just more attuned to spotting it.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."