Perhaps there is also another reason for certain particular affects to show themselves on the screen of these new technologies and after checking with a couple of TV tech buddies of mine along with my own experience, generally speaking, even with these higher tech sets and superior resolution, if one thinks that they shouldn't consider having their brand new monitor calibrated properly, they could be sadly mistaken.

For those that might be interested, in my case, after taking my brand new 4K monitor out of the box setting it up to my basic specs(contrast, black levels color levels etc.)after watching for awhile, as impressive as the picture was, I noticed I suffered some significant eye strain yet I couldn't, of course, figure out exactly why? After starting my 12 pt. grayscale calibration, according to the readouts,there was a significant difference in the gamma, grayscale and color luminance levels between approx. 40-80IRE, i.e right out of the box,the picture was significantly brighter in these ranges than at the lowest and highest end of the grayscale so whether it is 4K, OLED or anything else, according to my tech buddies this issue is not that uncommon among all these newer technologies. It seems the manufacturers have intentionally chosen to jack up these levels to bring out the brightness and colors, yet, it is not something that can be readily corrected by just lowering black and /or contrast levels.

Once I did my calibration along the entire grayscale ultimately leveling everything out according to the proper specs., it is amazing how much more natural the picture looked, colors, brightness and contrast were significantly better and after some lengthy viewing, my eye strain all but disappeared.

Rest assured, on the surface, as impressive as these new technologies are, quite surprisingly, they still can be noticeably better.