My experience has been that sometimes the preamp does not have enough output voltage to drive the amplifier to full power, and sometimes there is too much output voltage and the amp is driven past full power and into clipping depending on the gain of the amplifier. Preamps that don't have enough voltage output can clip the signal in an attempt to drive the amplifier to max power. Normally consumer products play well together though there are exceptions .For example my Emo amp has input sensitivity of 1.5 volts for max power whereas the ADA has a 1.2 so a little easier to drive to full power. Pro amps tend to require more input to be driven to full power. I notice that many car stereos use 4 to 5 volt output in the name of noise rejection but car amps have input sensitivity adjustments to compensate. Without specs for your amps its hard to tell why your 100 watt amp seeming played louder but I suspect its because it had more gain and may well have been clipping .Just a thought. I am sure Ian can correct me where I may be wrong.:)

Last edited by Socketman; 10/05/16 01:32 AM.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry