Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Matt,

This depends on whether you are referring to the volume level at a particular point on the volume dial or the maximum overall attainable volume.

It looks like a common belief that those two points are one in the same.. but I had a sneaking suspicion that they were not. This is where I get to the point of confusion that is compounded by marketing babble. There must be a finite number of watts that a speaker can handle. You post on your speakers that number seems to range from 250~400 for your floor standing speakers.

So from what you are saying. If you are just driving 2 channels of sound, then you would see no advantage getting the ADA1500 over the ADA1250 as the speaker could not use more or be pushed louder, all other components remaining constant.

it was Tico's comment that brought this question forward.

Originally Posted By Tico
Hey brendo, have you had an external amp before? Wondering if I'll hear a difference or if it's simply more volume. I fantasize it's going to be like one of those commercials where the guy's sitting in an armchair and everything's flying by him due to the power coming from his speakers.

So I gather that the fringe audiophiles that go out and purchase 1000+ watt amps are in reality throwing good money after bad against a wall hoping it will stick. If your speakers are designed for a maximum wattage, then going much beyond that number is little more than a fools errand.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5