Originally Posted By FosterCO
I'm sorry I didn't explain myself correctly.

I'm not trying to match the actual bass frequencies, I'm just trying to hear the bass player. I need separation more than matching bass tones. On my computer speakers, there are many songs where no clear bass comes through the 2.5" main speakers, and the same with the sub, except for really low frequencies. The same song on headphones or my stereo with the M60s, the bass line is quite clear.

This issue does not happen with every song of course, I'm just hoping to improve the situation.

Hi FosterCO,
This is a somewhat confusing notion you describe about "not matching the bass tones". The very nature of "high fidelity" includes, ideally, loudspeaker response from the lower limits of human hearing (about 20 Hz) to the upper limits of hearing and the musical spectrum (around 15 kHz).

If you want to hear the electric bass line, then you want the speakers you are using to provide reasonable bass extension to 40 Hz with some output down to 30 Hz. It's easy to do in good headphones like your Grados, but not so easy in a compact speaker (or one with tiny drivers, which is why the tiny speakers in your computer don't output deep bass).

I have the M2s, and if they are sitting on your desk, the bass reinforcement of the desk will help the M2s to produce a good account of the bass line that you'll be able to hear, given that the bass line on the source material is well recorded and mixed. Lots aren't, even on modern recordings. The M3s have an artificial bass "hump" built into their response, and, as Mojo pointed out, they can sound a little muddy or bloated on male vocals at higher volume. The M2s are very linear, with no exaggerated "hump" in the bass frequency response.

So, to summarize, if you want to hear the bass player you are trying to "match" the bass tones. It has nothing to do with separation.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)