I find the same problem depending on the source. I can put on one Blu ray and the sound is punchy loud at -25db and I would turn it down to -30db to watch without disturbing the rest of the family.
Then you can put on another Blu ray and it sounds lacking in sound even at -15db that i have set as my forced limit on the AVM60 pre-amp.

I was watching Netflix and didn't have anything better to watch so I put on the xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (a mind numb bad movie) and the sound mixing for this was so far off that I watched the whole thing at -15db and felt that it wasn't loud at all. Put on another episode of Sense8 and had to quickly turn the volume down to -32db as it sounded like an explosion.

What is even worse at those movies that can't make their mind up as to if they want to be ultra quiet or ultra loud and you have to spend the whole movie with the volume control in hand because it's up and down every minute with dialog set to low and irrelevant surround music set to blast your ear drums out to the point of bleeding.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5