Originally Posted by chesseroo
The quality isn't better, but the soundstage is changed, very wide off axis, and almost a surround effect but not less precise for instruments up front. It helps the speakers disappear more though i could see how some people might also perceive this sound as too diverse and consequently loss of detail/accuracy. I've heard dipoles upfront before and they fit that description, but i didn't find that when i heard the LFRs.

Just a general thought ... on listening and the time it takes to get LFRs setup right (I can only speak for the actives)

It took a bit of time getting my active LFR's setup. Had to play around quite a bit to get the stage right while maximizing the width of the sweet spot. With the actives it's even more work as the 7 position boundary compensation adds an extra variable. To zero that in you end up trying to get the best setup for a few of compensation positions and then trying to remember which was better (I have to take notes and mark the positions). BTW, I found it harder on the long wall then the short in my room.

It's fairly easy, especially if the compensation is not set right, to get sound every where without a great image or an image with fuzzy detail or a good image with a small sweet spot. So one needs to wonder if someone tells you that the sound was "too diverse" or " loss of detail/accuracy" did they take the time?

Oh, one more thing ...
I can't speak for the passive LFRs ... but the quality of sound on the actives was a noticeable step up.