Originally Posted by Mojo
Originally Posted by Cork
I know everyone loves the M2, but I think the M22 is always the better choice; it has the same "sonic signature" and doesn't drop off the map at 70 Hz (in the non-OW model, there's no specs for the OW).

More bass is not always a good thing particularly when a smallish driver is asked to play at a range that taxes it. Also room and placement becomes trickier with extended bass particularly when that bass isn't linear.

Originally Posted by Cork
Also, the M5 (HP or OW) is rated at 8 ohms, so any standard receiver would drive it; even though it dips lower from 100-500Hz, that's taken into account for the overall rating (so Mojo, you have to explain yourself on that one). I've having no problem driving the M5s and mini-Advents now with a Yamaha RX-V681, and I've used an RX-V673 in the past.

See the graph below. The horizontal line indicates the M5 is more like a 6.3 Ohm load. And it dips below 5 in the mids. Most would get confused by a rating like this so Axiom has chosen to present it as an 8 Ohm load rather than a 6 Ohm or a 4 Ohm. Like I said, it will function with that Onk but it may not perform during dynamic pieces.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/pub/media/catalog/product/m/5/m5hp-impedance.png

Sorry I am a newb where it comes to impedance. I have read some things about this here, but basically what this is stating, is that during lower frequency output of the sound it will cause the Onkyo to struggle some in powering the M5s and result in distortion? Just curious as the receiver is rated from 4-16 ohms I believe.

I'm by no means an audiophile type of person.