Originally Posted by TrevorM
What are your goals for the room performance wise? Adding lots of big speakers might be a dissapointment given all hard surfaces and tile floor. You might want to allow some budget for a room rework. A 14’ ceiling is going to be a reverb chamber without a plan to reduce decay times.

Pop a balloon. Sound like a boing or zing? Start there.

If this was a client install I would be pushing for stereo EP500s for the LFRs and an ultra short throw projector for a 120” image to cover the fireplace. Cover the lower 2/3 of windows with honeycomb blackout blinds to reduce decay times and treat the back wall with a tapestry. Put diffusers on sidewalls.

Keep it simple. This is a problem room with insane decay times. My vote anyways. smile

Thank you for taking the time to weigh in Trevor. You’ve certainly given me a lot more to think about. I had thick carpet in the previous house and much lower ceilings so drawing on your vast and varied experience is certainly appreciated.

I’m not sure where to begin, LOL…

We are replacing the flooring throughout the house with Vinyl Plank which is not going to offer much sound absorption. We tried changing the room to face the fireplace and it did not work great from a layout/house flow perspective. We are leaning strongly toward flipping the orientation and having the back wall be where the display is currently.

If we are having work done I’d like to get as much pre-wired as possible but I don’t have to buy every piece of equipment although prices are about to go up at Axiom. I know my sub needs replacing and if starting out with just two EP500s is the best next step I’m open to considering that option and then planing out the rest of the path forward.

I’m going to have to look more at room treatments. Serious WAF needs to be factored in so unfortunately will not be able to head down Mojo’s DIY path.

An ultra short throw projector is also something I’d consider…

Need a bit of time to mull things over smile