Suttercane,
Have not seen any recent posts from you as your wife's operation is around the corner. I hope the finances worked out at least to avoid the potential hardship you described. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife for a successful outcome. A fight with an insurance company is the last thing one needs when a loved ones health is involved. Recently situations similar to yours have become more commonplace unfortunately with the biggest insurance companies - many times avoiding ethical practices to enhance their financial gain. Based on personal experiences and many others going through similar situations, Aetna has become the biggest violator in this regard. This formerly US company was purchased last year and since has changed all procedures in regard to reimbursment of claims. Their standard procedure is to refuse all claims (even for standard care) assuming many people won't fight them, thereby giving them a financial windfall. I have spoken to numerous freinds, family members, and doctors who all have experienced the same. I didn't see what insurance company you were dealing with but curious as the past 12 months have become a nightmare for many of us. I am very surprised that these situations are allowed to take place - hopefully more consumers will raise the awareness on this issue and hold insurance companies (especially Aetna) responsible for their unethical actions.