"Why are those of you who believe that amps make a difference because they've heard it so sure that the placebo effect doesn't happen?"

How are you so sure that it wasn't the placebo effect and they did hear a difference? I haven't listened to my old Altecs in about two months but I can still remember that they produced low, muddy bass. My M22's produce more tight, accurate bass as well as having pin point imaging. Now I admit that the differences between two quality components or speakers is more subtle than crap and quality gear but I'm sure it can still be heard if you want it to.

The only thing that really bothers me about these forums is that most regulars here don't enter anything with an open mind. If someone hears a difference (whether it be in their head or tangible) then they heard a difference. I don't like how everyone gets all sharp or "you are wrong because I said so". I don't happen to prescribe to the idea that SS amps sound different from one another, but my limited experience hasn't allowed me to do demonstrations between quality amps and my reciever. If I was to hear differences between amps I would change my stance. I pose this question to you scientists. If you were to hear a difference between components(even if it were marginal), would you immediately think you were dillusional because there couldn't be a difference?