(Long Post Sorry) I own a Class A Jungson amp. Within the last 2 years I have also owned a Jolida Tube amp, Jolida Hybrid amp and Cambridge Audio SS amp.

No, I don't believe a Class a amp will always sound better then Class A/B. Its all up to the designer. There are excellent and poor amps in the both camps.

So my opinion no.

Now the question do all amps sound the same? Well according to some pseudo scientists here the answer is yes. This arguments been around for 30 plus years.

According to them. Flat frequency responses tests prove they all sound the same.

Although some people sware they sound the same. Do speakers that are have flat graphs (+/-3db)from say 60hz to 20,000 hz all sound the same?

I would hope ones hearing has not deteriorated enough to answer in the affirmative.

So why would one assume a $69 Sherwood receiver that measures flat from 20-20000hz would sound the same as a $2000 amp measuring the same?

I know in 1978 I bought a Yamaha CR2020 Receiver to replace a 1 year old Kenwood. A audio enthusiast who was very knowledgable told me there would be no difference in sound, based on the same argument of flat frequency response.

I really did not expect any difference. I just thought the Yamaha would look so good in my living room I went ahead and bought it. I wasn't looking for any difference but there was no mistaking the difference in sound.

The difference in sound from amps while not nearly as dramatic as speakers is definitly obvious IMO.

I know two recent examples in my memory. On a Stanley Jordan live CD there is a drum solo at the end of a track. On my Cambridge Audio Amp you can hear a loud sizzle (sounds just like bacon frying) from the cymbols as the track fades out. On the Jungson absolutely no sizzle at all. You would have to be deaf to miss it.

Another example was when I was doing some experimenting. Took the Jungson out and put in the Cambridge. My wife came home from work and while in another room from the system asked: "Whats wrong with the stereo?" What do you mean. "Sounds tinny and there is no bass".

Now if my wife can tell a difference from 2 rooms away on casual listening, how can someone not hear a difference while actually doing critical listening?

One final point. I've noticed those who preach all amps, speakers and CD players sound the same (based on scientific measurements), don't practice what they preach. You can buy a 105 watt Sherwood receiver for $69, an Audiovox CD/DVD player for $40 and some KLH floorstanders that go to 40hz for under $150. Do any of the them actually buy a $250 system, since on paper it should sound the same as a $2500 system?

I really wish my $500 Cambridge Audio amp sounded the same or at least close to my $2000 Jungson. I would definitly rather spend the money elsewhere. But it just ain't so.

Sorry to rant but I find this "All amps sound the same" argument to be seriously in error