>>What's the relationship of inter-speaker distance to room size? What's the effect of toe-in?

I think the relationship is a second-order one, ie distance from the speakers is usually a function of room size (but not always), and separation of the speakers is a function of how far away you sit.

The rule of thumb seems to be that your distance from the line between the speakers should be roughly the same as the separation between the speakers or a bit more. Some people favor the "equilateral triangle" but not many.

I used to think that toeing in the speakers would compensate for having them too widely separated but that does not really seem to be the case.

You toe the speakers in a bit if the off-axis response is not enough and if toeing in improves the imaging -- but it seems like you lose something when you toe them in too far. Don't understand why that is yet but my system definitely sounds better with the speakers pointing straight away from the wall even though that puts me about 20 degrees off-axis.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8