The previous boxes were some kind of high end "mall speaker". Ahh, here we go -- "10 inch digital monitors". There is a little frequency response curve sticker under the grill showing a flat response from about 35hz to over 23 KHz. Yeah, right. They did cost more than the M2i's though (no, I didn't buy them !!)

We tend to trade things around the family. The LS3s and sub went to a nephew who needed something small; we got a nice fridge and some crappy speakers in return. Don't ask.

The rec room is roughly 13x23 feet. Speakers are centered on the shorter wall. At "wall of sound" levels the speakers sound a bit strained in the midrange (a wierd doppler shift kind of effect) but at any normal listening level (including quite loud) they sound great.

There are only a few recordings where you notice problems at high volumes. The only one that comes to mind is "Mistral Wind" -- the live recording off Heart's greatest hits album. There is a lot of low frequency noise in the recording and I think that makes the woofer flap around a bit too much. Clean recordings will play more loudly than I would ever want.

[THIS JUST IN] The CD changer kicked over to "We Will Rock You" (Queen) so I walked over and cranked it up to see what happened during the stomping & clapping intro. At the loudest volume I would ever want the sound got a bit strained, but it actually sounded more like amp clipping than speakers. The receiver is an HK3270, which I thought was 35W per channel but a just-downloaded spec sheet says 65W per channel. Further investigation is required, as they say.

The sub has the ability to feed back line level to the amp with low freqs taken out -- I haven't cabled for that yet but will try it on the weekend. Right now I'm just using the M2i's natural LF roll-off and setting the sub's crossover around 70 Hz to match.

My guess is that once the low freqs are filtered out of the audio feed the performance at "wall of sound" levels will be just fine. I'll let you know...

My usage seems about the same as yours -- 90% music (all over the map), 10% DVDs, and hardly any TV.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8