>>By the way, I suspect your M2i sound strained at high volume is more than likely due to underpower, if that is the case then upgrading your M2i to M3/M22 will not help because when you crank it up again it will still sound strained, your receiver is the bottle-neck...not the speaker. :-)

Good point. I'll see if I can borrow some extra power. I was thinking that the M22's higher sensitivity (95db vs 92db a 1w/1m) would give roughly the same perceived sound level as doubling the amp power, but I always wonder how that can work. If doubling up the woofers gives 3db extra SPL, where does the extra sound level come from above the crossover freq, ie why doesn't the M22 sound duller than the M2 ? I never played much with multiple drivers in my speaker building days so this area of the technology is a bit of a black hole for me.

I will play with the x-over wiring a bit more. Thanks for the ideas. My first thought was that a 12db rolloff from the sub's active crossover plus the M2i's natural rolloff would approximate the 24db/octave rolloff in the sub's lowpass filter but no idea if that is actually a good thing.

One change I clearly noticed after rewiring was that the mid-bass seemed to be more in line with the rest of the frequs. Not sure if there was phase cancellation between mains & sub before or if I just didn't push the sub back into exactly the same position against the wall as before.

I'm going to be down in the US for the week so no experiments until next weekend. Will post back with the results.

Thanks,
JB

Last edited by bridgman; 09/13/04 10:37 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8