In reply to:

Were they calibrated so they were both playing at the exact same dB level? If not, then of course they sounded different. If you're going to do a conclusive comparison, you have to make sure all your variables are minimized.

As for people saying all amps sound the same, search out these forums and you will find your answer.

As for my little test. Yes both amps ran at the exact same DB level and both got calibrated. I'm not some kid who just fell off the truck you know! I take a lot of time when I'm playing with stuff and I try and make it as accurate as I know how. I posted awhile back about bi-amping a couple of Carver amps and got some negative reaction from a few. Funny part was soon as I posted that I was bi-amping via the correct method of using separate crossovers etc, everyone shut up. It just proved that a few who piped up that bi-amping doesn't do squat, didn't even know the basics behind doing it correctly. Hell I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me why 2 stereo amps sounded so bad in MONO? I have no idea and I still don't get why.................but anyway, I'm rambling and it's early and I need my Robin's coffee!