Please don't tell me to take it to the politics thread, because I didn't start this.

In reply to:

It shouldn't matter who manufactured the parts as long as the QC is up to highest standard, just to give you an example...Onix Rocket and HSU Research have their speakers manufactured and assembled in China as well.

I'm not picking on Ben in particular here, but I do want to challenge the idea that the only consideration in a purchasing decision should be value in your pocket. Often, doing "the right thing" is neither the cheapest nor easiest alternative. So, when I say "you", I am not addressing Ben specifically, but individuals in the reading audience.

Do you think it "doesn't matter" to the Americans and Canadians that are out of work? I try very hard to NOT buy anything from China, because every dollar we export to other countries is a dollar that is not being spent in our communities. It may not "matter" from a pure consumer or technology point of view, but it sure as heck DOES matter to our neighbors and communities.

Do you think it "matters" to the SVS employees in Ohio that I chose to buy their product instead of Hsu? Do you think it "matters" to Axiom employees that I chose to buy their product instead of Rockets? In each case, the country of manufacture was a contributing factor to me. I prefer my economic decisions to benefit communities that share my values - a position that adds greatly to my "pride of ownership".

While I'd like to make this issue matter to others, I lack the macroeconomic savvy to convey a compelling case. But it does matter a great deal to me, and to thousands of other consumers and union members who perceive that our national security is inextricably intertwined with our economic security as manifested in escalating trade deficits.

If you can get comparable quality and help support living-wage jobs in your community, why would you export your purchasing power to subsidize poverty-level jobs half way around the world?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem