In reply to:

The JVC is the oldest but super nice specs but not all the latest formats supported ie Dolby Prologic II, NEO:6.

That is reason alone to eliminate it from your choices. DPLII is fantastic and should not be passed up. I doubt your cable or satellite broadcast are in DD.

In reply to:

I want a THX receiver because I know then it will support THX modes for movies better.

This is false. There is no such thing as a THX "mode" in movies. Movies that have the THX logo have paid Lucasarts to verify that they used a transfer technology that meats the minimum requirements for the company. I've seen plenty of THX certified movies that were less than spectacular and plenty of non-THX movies that were jaw dropping.

In reply to:

With the specified 80mhz sub crossover, although some are adjustable, and proper encoding.

This is true of all DD and DTS receivers with bass management.

In reply to:

Too bad makers must pay to be certified, I think this is hurting the industry.

How is this hurting the industry? There are plenty of companies that don't pay to have their hardware certified because they either know their customers are competent enough to listen to their hardware and verify that it's far superior to whatever bottom basement junk CC or BB are selling or because they don't wish for Lucas to have access to their proprietary DSP technology. There are also plenty of receivers out there with the base THX certification that are utter crap. Neither of these groups are struggling for sales so I'm inclined to think the industry isn't hurting at all.

Use your ears. If you like the sound, buy it.

Regards,
Semi